Becoming a Bookkeeper
Bookkeeping is an extremely rewarding career and has many benefits. I have listed some of the top reasons to be a bookkeeper below.
1. Ideal for flexible working : A career as a bookkeeper is the perfect ‘work from home’ profession enabling you to build a successful career whilst managing family life as well as any other commitments you may have, resulting in you having flexible work hours.
2. Adaptable Surroundings: Bookkeepers like other professionals are adapting to the Covid 19 crisis by using new video conferencing technologies to contact new and existing clients, for example, using Skype, Zoom and others. This has the added benefit that your clients can be local or more remote.
3. Be your own boss: Bookkeeping is the ideal profession if you want to be self-employed. A profitable, successful bookkeeping business can be run from home with little financial outlay and minimal overheads. Some self-employed bookkeepers also choose to take on staff to increase the number of clients they can support and increase their profitability while enjoying being their own boss.
4. Routes for progression: There are plenty of career options and progression routes within bookkeeping. Many people choose to offer bookkeeping and related services either on a self-employed basis or working for a firm. From there you can choose to become an accounting technician or a chartered accountant with a variety of awarding and professional bodies to help you on the way.
5. You don’t need to go to university: Bookkeeping is a profession that presents students with a variety of affordable entry routes and paths along which they can grow and pursue a career. Anyone who is good with numbers is eligible and able to study to be a bookkeeper.
6. Qualifications: There are various examining bodies such as the International Association of Bookkeepers (IAB), Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) and Association of Accounting Technicians.(AAT). I took a tutor lead distance learning course which took me two years to complete whilst working full-time for large companies and studying in my spare time. The course was vocational and involved answering many questions based on “real world” scenarios.
7. Marketing: You can be the best accountant\bookkeeper with excellent qualifications but with no clients unless you market yourself. A scenario which was put to me a while ago was, “having a 5 star hotel in the middle of a desert that is not known to holiday makers seeking a wonderful holiday.
a. I have suggested the following.
b. Get a website - Please contact Grumbling Gorilla on 01494 240 082 or visit Our Website
c. Attend network meetings, currently via Zoom, Skype etc
d. Word of mouth- although this takes practise.
e. Build your best linkedIn profile
f. Register your business on listing services.
I hope that this blog proves useful to you and will help you start your own business. If you have been inspired by this and would like to ask me a question related to the above, please send me an email.